Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Share

Mother’s Share
© Diana May 2010

In the shelter
of your arms
I felt safe
from peril and harm.
No monster would dare,
else be vanquished by
your laser beam stare.

You had eyes
in the back
of your head,
The kind that saw
everything
a teenager did,
filling my mind
with nail-biting dread.

Your sage advice
never came
with a set price.
Seldom heeded,
would not appreciate
but always did I pay
the lesson
was learned
way too late
in the day.

Time flits
and I step
into your shoes.
Hear your words
easily slip
through my own
aging lips.
My hands slide
to either side
of thickened hips,
while growing
extra eyes
to see through
my young one's
glib lies.

I blinked.
Years flew past.
Once more
desire to feel
my cheek
kissed.
Hear your voice
call me,
it's grievously
missed.
I know now
how much
you did care,
that you loved me
a mother's
full share.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments, reviews, or opinions!