Friday, July 13, 2012

Simple Joys

Life never ceases to amaze me, a tap on the shoulder to remind how wonderful it is to be alive.

This afternoon, while I was cleaning up around the kitchen sink, chatting with a friend on my cell phone, I happened to glance out the window and saw a bird in the tree beside my Library window.  At first, because of the bird's size, I took it to be one of the morning doves, but then noticed the length of its long beak. No, this can't be a dove!

Thank goodness phones are so portable, as I chattered excitedly that I had to get a picture of this bird, and went to grab my camera.

I carefully opened the curtains, only to discover that the windows were none too clean, but I could make out the bird in the dense foliage. Woodpecker?
My friend, on the other end of the ether, told me to call her back, but I kept her tucked between my shoulder and ear.
Raising my camera, just beginning to take careful aim, the sun reflects off the lens and startles the bird into flight. Damn, missed my shot! AND, I still don't know what kind of bird it was.

I waited for a while by the window, but the bird did not make a reappearance.

I ended my call and decided to make good use of my time, to be better prepared for the next photo opportunity. Grabbing paper towels and Windex, I spent a little time and elbow grease cleaning window panes, inside and out.

Evening approaches and once again finds me in front of the kitchen sink and gazing out at the tree.  I've always thought it was a nectarine tree, planted in a most inappropriate place for a fruit tree. At some point, it will need to be removed before I can build a covered back porch.
Since I've lived here these past six years, it has never born fruit. Or I should say, until this year. This year is different, I fertilized and watered the tree.  I like nectarines. 
Imagine my dismay to discover that, although the fruit looks like a nectarine, it is not. It smells a little like an apple, has a pit like an apricot, but not the delicious taste I was looking forward to.
On the other hand, my dogs have grown fat from consuming the ripened red fruit that has dropped to the ground or the ones they can reach by standing on hind legs.
The birds, also, seem to think these are delicasies and have eaten their fair share.  Between the bird feeder I keep filled and this tree, I'm surprised my fine feathered friends can actually take wing. They all seem to have bulging breastplates this year.

But I digress.

The kitchen window -- looking out at the tree, I see a dark shape moving amongst the leaves. Is it the bird? 

Moving quickly, I grab my camera, glad I took the time to clean the windows, and head to the library aka "My Cave".
Oh so very slowly, slide the curtains aside, focus, click.

Just to assure you that, although you may think I'm bat-shit crazy,  I'm not blind -- yet.  This is definitely NOT the bird I saw earlier today.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful photo! You are inspiring me to dust off my "real" camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific photo! And funny. The story makes it even funnier. Caught red handed. He's like, "WHAT!!"

    I have a caption: "So much for plausible deniability."

    Kansas squirrels are certainly a burly bunch. Not the scrawny little guys that inhabit the southern climes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Adele - Thank-you. Excellent idea! Get that camera out and start capturing pieces of life.

    @ John - LOL and thanks! Love that caption! When I first saw the creature in the tree, it appeared so large that I thought it was possible an escaped-from-the-zoo Lemur.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments, reviews, or opinions!